Criminal Heart

Listen to me you criminal heart!
You have lied to me long enough!
You have led me around
like a bull with a ring in my nose!

Who do you think you are?
Am I a slave to you?
Is it proper that a man live
according to his heart?

No!

The heart was not made to be master!
The heart was not made to control!
The heart was made to submit to the master
and to love as directed to love!

Oh rebellious heart of mine,
you are at enmity with all that is right!
Why do you hate what is proper?
Why do you love to do wrong?

Oh criminal heart of mine,
you love to lead me around.
You have led me to disaster,
and thrown me to the ground.

Oh if I could hunt you down,
if only I could find you!
Oh if I could cut you out
and rid you from my life!

When I no longer have you,
when you are dead and gone,
I'll sing this song and dance around
and celebrate my freedom!

Until that day,
I won't listen to you
because I have chosen to do what is right.

Now listen to me!
Submit to my words,
and love what is proper to love!

Oh you rebel,
you have lost control!
You have lost your right to decide!

Torah is right
and proper to do,
so learn to love it,
because now it decides!